Saturday, May 10, 2008

Hostas


Before I finally start to focus my attention on the work that is crying out for my attention, I want to write about my favourite plant-I love roses but in a mature garden with lots of shade, roses are not going to do well, I have primulas, irises, forget-me-nots which look wonderful at this time of year and many others but the plant that I continue to collect is the hosta. We have a collection of over 50 different ones and I am always on the look out for more. I bought Fried Bananas at the local garden club sale this morning. It will be a very big plant and I have plenty of room. I am fascinated with the range of sizes, variations of colours -shades of green and whites, leaf structure. Some are smaller than my hand and others are nearly 1 1/2 feet tall. Each year, we collect a few more and hope that they will all survive the winter. I have lost a few and will be busy replacing them- it is usually the first year that is the problem. After they survive a winter, I am not the least worried they will thrive and grow so that I can divide them the third year. Hope to get out and do some planting tomorrow morning if the weather cooperates.


Time for Mozart.

No comments: