Saturday, May 10, 2008

Sock Wars

As of Friday May 9th, Sock Wars III has begun. This cutthroat competition,http://sockwarsiii.memberlodge.org/Default.aspx?pageId=96092 involves over 1000 knitters this year and is billed as the "bloodiest death-by-knitting tournament". It enlists players from around the world to join in its game, proving knitting is not just a grandmother's hobby.
It was started by Julie Gardener a 31-year old freelance TV and film production manager in Belfast, a couple years ago after she heard about StreetWars (will have to look this up) , a game that uses mock weapons and is popular on college campuses.
I love my knitting but I am not ready to battle other knitters. Knitting gives me my Zen moments when I just relax and become one with the needles. Might rethink this next year and join.

No comments: