Thursday, May 8, 2008

Women think of these things

Last night at orchestra, I mentioned that the orchestra used to have coffee at the break. Bill, the clarinet player beside me asked if that had been during my presidency? Yes, and he responded that as a woman I would think of these things while men don't. Men (and women) like to have the coffee and are happy to pay but don't think of arranging to have it prepared in the first place. I was reminded of this when I read my friend Krista's blog and she mentioned the cupcakes that she took to her bridge club as a farewell gesture. How many men would think to do that at their last night at a club? What a wonderful gesture of thanks for people who had welcomed her.
I have thought about Bill's comment and must say that not all women think about these gestures, many women like men do not send cards, call regularly or thank people with such wonderful tokens of thanks. It is something we should all think about striving to do.
I remember when I was in high school talking to a clarinet player in our senior band, Phil Kawasoe who told me that he sent birthday cards regularly to his many friends. I thought that was such a wonderful idea that I have tried to follow his example for these many years.
Please do not think that I only talk to clarinet players. There are just more of them.
(Krista is also a former fine clarinet player.)

No comments: